Find A Solution To Your Heel Pain
Heel pain can be debilitating, not to mention the many complications that can arise if it's not dealt with immediately and accurately by a doctor. Your Land O' Lakes, FL, podiatrists, Drs. George and Kathy Tjamaloukas, care about supplying you and others with the necessary information to cope and treat this issue, which is why they also serve the Wesley Chapel community.
Heel and Arch Pain:
The pain you're feeling may be caused by the inflammation of a connective tissue known as plantar fasciitis. This connective tissue isn't just in your heel though, it extends past the arch of your foot, reaching your toes.
Causes of Pain:
The causes of pain vary from one person to another. Some causes include:
- Injuries, such as bruises, incurred during light or intense activities: walking, running, excessive jumping or jumping on hard surfaces.
- Wearing improperly fitted or worn down footwear.
- Being overweight or obese can contribute to your foot pain.
Here are other causes of pain that may be more serious and may require you to visit Drs. George or Kathy Tjamaloukas' office in Land O' Lakes, which also welcomes residents from the Wesley Chapel area:
- Overpronation: When someone's walk is abnormal, their foot rolls inward with each step they take. This causes tension to be placed on the connective tissue (plantar fascia), the arch stretches and, eventually, the foot flattens out, which puts more pressure on the plantar fascia. When there's constant pressure being placed on the tissue, inflammation occurs and the individual starts feeling pain.
- Heel Spur Syndrome: The stretching of the plantar fascia causes an individual to feel a constant force being applied to the muscles and ligaments of his or her foot. The end result consists of torn linings and membranes that should be covering the heel bone.
There are several methods of treatment, some more conservative than others:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Stretching exercises
- Orthotic devices
- Physical therapy
- Extracorporeal Shockwave therapy
- Heel Surgery
If you have any questions or concerns, please consult your Land O' Lakes, FL, podiatrists, who also serve the Wesley Chapel area.